It is almost a new year and I am full of all those things you are supposed to be full of at this time of year: thoughts about the past, regrets about the past, catalogues of favourite memories, hopes for the future, the desire to start new and fresh and clean and confident.
I also happen to have been born on New Year’s, so the day marks a true “new year” beginning for me. I’ll turn 27 at 12:00:15 on January 1st. 27. It’s incredible for me to think about this number because I feel really young. I don’t mean to say that 27 is old, I just mean that I still feel pretty new here, naive. When I look back at all the life I’ve lived I’m astounded at what I’ve done and excited for all the life I have ahead of me.
I make resolutions every year and mostly they involve writing more and travelling more. This year my resolution is to know myself more fully and to move confidently towards the life I envision in my head, like this Thoreau quote:
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.
For me, this means surrounding myself with people I feel inspired by (like all of you), making concious choices about my place on this earth and focusing my attention on intellectual and creative pursuits. I have some more concrete goals as well, like:
1. Start the process of returning to school. Study. Write. Get over my fear of asking for help in the process.
2. Work on some organic farms this summer through WWOOF. Volunteer across the U.S.
3. Have something published.
4. Take a road trip across the U.S. Climb mountains. Sip lemonade on porches. Look at the stars in the desert. National parks. Places of literary significance. Meet wonderful people (let’s meet, for real).
5. Continue to distance myself from a culture that feels oppressive, exploitative and unhealthy for human beings. Buy only the things I need. Make all my own food. Grow things. Stop buying so many clothes.
6. Learn more of the constellations, the names of birds and flowers, tree identification. Camp more. Connect more with the incredible world.